Presence in the country:
Women improved their professional and/or life skills through empowerment, capacity building or income generating activities
Sudan is the largest country in Africa and the Arab world and tenth largest in the world by area. The world’s longest river, the Nile, divides the country between east and west sides.
The humanitarian situation in Sudan is complex and characterized by various drivers. Socio-economic conditions are fragile or even deteriorating. Multiple areas have been affected by a resumption of hostilities especially in Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan states. Chronic under-development and wide-spread poverty, exacerbated by natural disasters or climate shocks, are also negatively impacting the coping capacities of vulnerable populations. With access to basic services remaining largely insufficient, the population’s resilience to shocks is being further eroded.
VSF Germany operates in Central Darfur, North Darfur, East Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile states.
What we do:
- Providing livestock assets protection services including vaccination and treatment, refresher trainings for Community Animal Helath Workers (CAHWs) and goat restocking;
- Delivering agriculture support services to vulnerable households including seeds, tools and extension services on crops production technology;
- Monitoring of seasonal progress and post-harvest assessments;
- Enhancing vulnerable internally displaced people (IDP) and conflict-affected communities’ access to water services and improving hygiene behaviour;
- Promotion of fishery activities as income diversification strategy.